Ever since I started to eat a fully vegan diet, I’ve loved trying vegan burgers at cafés and resturans. It’s always exciting to find a really good one! Of course I also make them myself, and this one is definitely great. Sometimes vegan patties tend to be too soft and easily fall apart, but this one has great texture. I prefer to eat my vegan burger with some nice sweet potato fries.
For the burger patties (4-6 patties)
230 g black beans (boiled)
2 dl baked sweet potato
1 dl sunflower seeds
1 dl chickpea flour
1 small yellow onion
2 pinches of ground white pepper
1 pinch of chili chipotle powder
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp paprika powder
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
For the sweet potato fries
2 large sweet potatoes
1 tbsp coconut oil (refined, has natural flavor)
1 tbsp paprika powder
1 pinch of ground nutmeg
1/2 tbsp onion powder
1 pinch of chili powder (optional)
For the burgers
Any bread that you like
Pickled red onion (or fresh red onion)
* 1dl = 1 Deciliter = 0.42 cups
Instructions for the burgers:
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C. You need baked sweet potato in the burger patties so if you don’t already have that: Bake a sweet potato in the oven until it’s soft. You can cut it into smaller chunks for it to cook faster.
2. Mix all ingredients for the burger patties in a food processor.
3. Make patties and place them on a parchment paper on an oven tray.
4. Bake them in the oven for 30 minutes, 175°C on the grill setting.
5. Mean while, prepare your fresh vegetables and toast your burger bread.
6. When the patties are done, build your burgers! I build them like this:
bread –> baby spinach –> burger patty –> avocado –> tomato –> pickled red onion –> drizzle with tahini –> cilantro –>bread. YUM!
Instructions for the sweet potato fries:
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C.
2. Peel and cut your sweet potato into fries. Put them in a big bowl together with coconut oil, paprika powder, ground nutmeg, onion powder, salt and some chili powder (if you like them a bit spicy). Stir so all fries are covered with spices.
3. Put the fries on an oven tray with a parchment paper and bake for around 20 minutes.
If you try this recipe, I would be happy to know what you think!