I truly love this salad. Crunchy roasted carrots, sweet beets, creamy avocado and tangy crushed peas with lemon and mint. This salad has it all!
It has such vibrant colors and is just beautiful to look at, and of course a delight for your taste buds. Top it off with vegan cashew cheese and toasted hazelnuts and you’re good to go!
6 medium sized carrots
2 large beets
1 avocado, sliced
2 handful arugula leaves
2 tbsp crushed hazelnuts, toasted
40 grams vegan cheese, store-bought or home made
Olive oil (optional)
For the crushed peas:
1 cup green peas
1 tbsp mint leaves, finely chopped
Pink himalayan salt
1. Pre-heat the oven to 175°C. Place a baking sheet on an oven tray.
2. Wash and peel the carrots and beets. Keep the carrots whole and chop the beets into smaller chunks and place them separately on the oven tray with the baking sheet. If you’d like, drizzle with some olive oil and salt. Let them bake in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until soft with a little bit of crunch in the middle.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the crushed peas. If peas are frozen, de-frost them. Put the de-frosted peas in a small bowl and crush with a potato masher. Strain the peas from excess water. Add the juice from 1 lemon and grated lemon zest from 1/2 lemon. Add finely chopped mint, salt and pepper. Stir.
4. Toast the hazelnuts lightly in a dry, small saucepan.
5. Time to plate the salad! Start with the arugula leaves and the crushed peas. Continue with the roasted carrots, beets and avocado. If there is liquid from the crushed peas left in the bowl, drizzle on top of the salad. Top it all off with crumbled vegan cheese, the toasted crushed hazelnuts and cress.