I love a good risotto. This one is creamy yet tangy with perfectly crunchy vegetables. A risotto needs some love when cooking, because you need to add broth and stirring it while it cooks. But it’s not that difficult I promise! I will explain how to do it. I prefer my risotto to be creamy but not too sticky and the rice to be cooked perfectly al dente. Make sure you pick the right rice and you’re good to go! I always use Arborio rice when making risotto.
4 big portions or 6 small portions
1.5 cup Arborio rice
1 liter + 1/2 cup vegetable broth
2 tsp olive oil
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
300 g green asparagus, chopped
1/2 zucchini, cubed
1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, finely chopped
1/4 cup black kalamata olives, finely chopped
1/2 lemon, the juice
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 fresh red chili, finely chopped (optional but I love it!)
1 cup fresh basil, chopped
30 g pine nuts, toasted
2 small avocados
1. Drizzle olive oil in a satué pan, add garlic and yellow onion and fry gently until translucent. Get your broth ready and heated in a separate sauce pan or bowl, depending on what type of broth you are using.
2. Add the rice to the onion and fry on medium heat for around 2-3 minutes until translucent.
3. Add sun dried tomatoes, olives, chili and just enough vegetable broth to cover the rice. Stir until the liquid is absorbed.
4. Continue to add broth, one ladle at a time, while you stir gently as the liquid absorbs. Keep doing this step for about 12 minutes.
5. Add in the zucchini and asparagus. Continue adding broth and stirring until the liquid absorbs for another 10 minutes.
6. Taste if the risotto is ready. The rice should be tender but still firm and the vegetables cooked through but still perfectly crunchy.
7. Add the lemon juice, the nutritional yeast, fresh basil, salt and black pepper to taste. Stir one last time. Ready!
8. Plate the risotto and top with roasted pine nuts, fresh basil, black pepper, chili and 1/2 small avocado per portion.
I hope I managed to explain the steps well, if you have any questions feel free to ask! ♡